Monday, June 11, 2012

From Buenos Aires June 11, 2012

It turns out I´m not training a new missionary, but a mini missionary (only one sister missionary received her visa to come to Argentina). My new companion, Hermana Campos, will only be in the mission until the end of this transfer. She is really great. It´s a little different than training a new missionary because the new missionaries have had time in the MTC to practice teaching and become familiar with Preach My Gospel. Hermana Campos has never read PMG or received any kind of training, but she doesn´t let that discourage her. She is studying in PMG and teaching with me. She is putting forth the effort to contact and teach on her own. It´s incredible. She´s an example to me in many things and I´m sure I´m going to learn a lot from her in the next 5 weeks. My Spanish kind of diminished a little with Hermana Olson (we spoke in English way too much) and I´m sure I´ll be able to learn a lot from Hermana Campos as far as Spanish goes. She barely speaks a word of English and so I have to try a lot harder to make sure she understands what I´m trying to say. In our language study this morning I taught her about the alphabet. It was a lot of fun to try and help her pronounce the names and sounds of each letter.

We had an investigator come to church yesterday. His name is Guido and he´s 77. He´s been Jehova´s Witness for about two years and was pentacostal (I don´t know how it´s spelled in English) before that. He likes to read a lot, but doesn´t retain much. Teaching him is a lot like it was with Ramón. We´ve spent the last few times trying to help him pray. He´s not used to actually talking to God and didn´t understand that you don´t have to plan out what you´re going to pray, but just say what´s in your heart and comes to your mind. There´s that scripture that says, "it shall be given you what you pray." I´ve been able to experience that in my personal prayers. It´s pretty amazing.

I found out on Wednesday that my first convert, Rubén, has received the Melchizedek priesthood and that he is the second counselor in the young men´s presidency in Libertad. His first assignment is to organize boy scouts in the ward. I was so excited to hear that. Yuli will be giving a talk in sacramente meeting at the end of the month, too. I´m so proud of her and her progress in the Gospel.

I´m out of time. I love you all so much!

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Buenos Aires Temple Rededication Announced

Buenos Aires Temple Rededication Announced
The first presidency announced the re-dedication of the Buenos Aires Temple in three sessions on the 9 of September. Oh happy day! There will be a public open house from the 4 of August to the 25th of August with the exception of Sundays. Saturday, the 8th of August there will be a cultural event as part of the celebration.

December 2011 & January 2012

December 2011 & January 2012

Hermana Litster is in Argentina!

Hermana Litster is in Argentina!

MTC Photos September- November

MTC Photos September- November